Thursday, April 15, 2010

Everyday blessings

It's easy to lose sight of gratitude in the everyday-ness of work, home life, finances and whatnot. One thing I've learned from working at a newspaper is that every day is someone's worst day ever. If it isn't your turn, count your blessings.
Today was overcast and warm and the air smelled like rain. Then came the rain, the heavy, silvery rain that streaks the windows, ripples down the streets, then rolls away, making room for the sun. I feel privileged to have had nothing more critical to do today than keep my head above water at work, come home, make dinner and walk Indy. Some of the people I love are currently hurting, trying to keep their heads above water in the face of illness or a loss. My frustrated impulse is to want to fix it, but I can't. I can listen, care, and be a friend. I've had my turn in those shoes, and I know eventually it'll be my turn again. So for today I'm thankful for that everyday-ness of early rising, punching the clock, washing the dishes. I know there are a lot of people who would trade anything for a life so ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment