Monday, June 7, 2010

Sliding into summer

And so the long, lazy summer slide begins.
I usually reserve Sunday mornings for housecleaning. Nothing industrial, just your basic tidying, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting. I preface this burst of domesticity with several cups of coffee, the Sunday paper, and the gently thought-provoking "Sunday Morning" on CBS.
Yesterday I had the coffee, the paper, the show, but the cleaning was limited to washing a few dishes and giving the downstairs a cursory pass with the broom. Several passes, actually, as small clumps of sand and dust exert some strange magnetic force on my dogs and cats, drawing them ever nearer, and eventually straight through, even the tiniest accumulation of floor ick. Thus, I often sweep the same area several times, racing to get it into the dustpan before paws big and small trounce through.
But a funny thing happened on the way to the vacuum. I found myself not caring an awful lot whether or not my carpets were clean. I set aside the vacuum (for later, I dutifully promised myself) and sat down at the computer.
I blame summer. Even though Sunday's weather - overcast, rainy, downright chilly - didn't feel summery in the least, just knowing it's June seemed excuse enough to choose recreation over housework.
Summer encourages you to kick off your shoes, pull on a T-shirt and ditch those claustrophobic winter blues. Hey, summer says lazily, what's the rush? The housework will still be there tomorrow, but life is short and so am I. Come enjoy me while I last! Who are we to argue? Beach days, barbecues and trips to the ice cream stand are short-term pleasures for Yoopers. Carpe sunblock! Cast aside your to-do lists! Revel in the long days of sunshine, the tangy smell of cut grass, the muggy, starry nights. Better to celebrate with wild abandon than to look back and regret that you didn't. The broom, the rake, the paintbrush, they'll wait.
As if in cosmic agreement with my summer state of mind, by lunchtime the clouds had departed, the sun was beaming down and the temperature inched up to bearable.
And while you're out there reveling, pay attention. Flare your nostrils and breathe in the sweet damp scent of blossoming flowers. You'll look a little goofy, but it's worth it. Don't be afraid to get a little silly. Run down the bike path - not jog, run, like a joyful little kid. Wade into the lake and splash a little when you're walking along the shore. Skip a few rocks. Buy yourself an extra large ice cream cone and ignore the drips on your shirt.
Grab hold of summer and squeeze the bejeebers out of it. Kiss it full on the mouth. You're alive and it's beautiful outside. Fling aside boring grown-uphood and embrace Mother Nature's limited time offer. See you at the lake.

1 comment: